Monday, June 11, 2007

Medical Surveillance (Cleveland 2a)

We're off.

A major collision forces us to take a detour en route to the Canada/U.S. border. It is an otherwise uneventful trip to the Customs Check. This time, there's no interrogation about the medical supplies on board. The Customs Officer only wants to see an official document from The Cleveland Clinic before he wishes me better health and allows us to pass.

We stop at the first available rest stop - coincidentally, home of the No Restroom Protest - not to protest its lack of lav, but to run some meds. A few hours along the Interstate, and we're at the exit.

I'm not a map person. I've been here before and have already resolved not to make the same right turn mistake from our earlier sojourn. John, on the other hand, he likes maps. When we get past that tricky right-turn, I sense that he may have a little more confidence in my system...until I miss a turn altogether.

With my system, we would go a few blocks more to confirm we weren't on the right street, then cut over on a different street, traverse back on another street, come to a corner where I would look for a landmark, point and say "There, that's it." John's clearly uncomfortable with that system. I suggest a full turn around and pull the landmark check during a red light.
I get my bearings, point, and presto! We're there.
With help from the staff, the car gets unloaded and registered. We check into the room and call Mom and Dad so they know we're in town.

We meet to review the itinerary for the next day and set a meeting time. We're ready.

Cleveland Part 2 stories continue here
Jump to Cleveland 2e (Final Chapter)

No comments: