Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Back to School - Belleville - There

8:30 a.m. I see my family has been online through the night. 3:50 a.m.: Roni wants to redo her living room so that it'll be fresh to receive visitors after her surgery; she would like someone to weed her gardens, because they're getting overgrown; she wants to get a pedicure. Response from Joe at 4:15 a.m.: why is she online when she has this work that needs to be done? Joe is probably renovating his bathroom or building/fixing something with his Blackberry on his belt.

9:30 a.m. I call Roni, tell her I'm taking Kara shopping to get set for her freshman year at King's University College. Give me a list, give me your kid, I'll return her when its done. It'll be fun. It'll help.

12:30 p.m. I'm on the way. Idea: 'Hey, Ma. What are your plans today? How'd you like to spend 3 hours with your youngest daughter?" Quick side trip to pick her up. Back on the road.

We enjoy the drive. Mom tells me that if there's ever a time when I cannot laugh at myself, I can always laugh at my mother.

Arrive Belleville. Didn't look at the clock. I offer to do some work in the gardens (which don't look bad to me). I reach for this tall grassy thing, but apparently it is a plant. My theory is that avid gardening strikes at age 40; the same way homemade jam happens at 30. I still have a year of garden ignorance.

Leave Belleville.
7:00 p.m. Gramma wants to stop at a particular store to get started. I know the time because I called home. Spend a couple of hours looking at alarm clocks, throw pillows, accent rugs, stuff for the bed, small appliances. Get some dinner. Look for lost Medicalert bracelet. Take Mom home. Homeward bound for us.

Line of the night: Credit to Kara. "I don't know if I'm indecisive or not."
Casualty: Lost Medicalert bracelet.

3 comments:

Michelle said...

OMG that is way tooo funny! Except I still think Kara's best line ever is this:

"If 95% of accidents are caused close to home, where do the homeless have their accidents?"

I have learned that most people just don't get that one -- I think she's hilarious. She'll make the best leader of the United Nations -- if not the funniest one ever!

Biddie said...

How lucky you are to have such a wonderful family. Spend as much time with them as possible.
I love the homeless line, and i get it.

Christine said...

We think we are very lucky. Lucky isn't a word you might choose to describe us, but yes, even with all the difficulties, we are grateful to be so blessed.