Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Off to School - Back

The plan is to meet Wayne at my parent's to get Kara back home. Along the way, there are still a few places Kara and I want to get to. Definitely looking for that one 'must have' on the list. We arrange the day around hitting a shop in the city. Timing on a Friday will be important.

Success. And again. And a close-call. And then a success. That's a wrap. We want to leave on a high note. We're at the exit and I stopped to put my sweater on. The chocolate store that's right beside the entrance/exit has just finished a run of truffles and they're handing them out. I can tell there are nuts in the truffles. We leave in a hurry.

We find the place in Toronto, but it turns out it's not quite as advertised. Based on my sports descriptions, call this 'wide of the net' or 'fanned-on-the-shot'.

Kara's a good sport about it. We head east. I point out some landmarks. I'm still looking at store signs to find a substitute, but striking out. She tells me about some of the school trips she and others made into Toronto: food was great, hotel choices should be reconsidered for future trips. We make great time through the city, but when we reach the Pickering city line, all traffic stops. We sit a while, then I look for an alternate. I love to drive. I hate to sit. And I'm in brain-fog because of the nuts at Dixie.

North, nothing moving. South, nothing moving. Go over another mile. North, nothing; south nothing. Can't change it. We stop for a stretch, drink and some junk food in Ajax. (I did offer something nutritous, but that wasn't what Kara felt like). We hit Pickering at 4:00. We get to my parents at 5:30. Normally, a 30 minute drive. I am not good company.

Kara and I have come up with a bit where a frustrated and tired Aunt Chris grumpily goes into Gramma's house and complains that Kara is unbearable and whining. I carried off the frustrated and grumpy part easily, but I couldn't complain about my favorite Kara with a straight face. Gramma and Bubba didn't buy it.

We set up a display on the table and Kara walks them through everything. She tells them about Mina. Our inside jokes require too much explanation and, oddly, are not funny to others.

I do not feel well and bail before dinner is ready. Sorry I missed you, Wayne.

Summary Tuesday through Friday
One Tank of Gas: $45.
Night at the Movies: $30
Shopping with Kara: Priceless.

No comments: